It is impossible not to know what to do in Tuscany, because if there is a region in the world that has everything (or almost) this is Tuscany.
If you still don’t know if this region is worth visiting … we will give you some ideas about everything you can do in Tuscany.
After reading these tips, you will see that you are already taking time to go, and that no matter how long you go, you will not be able to visit everything.
Why is it such a complete destination?
There is no place in the world that can boast of having 10 World Heritage Sites, and all very different from each other.
The essential cities on a visit to Tuscany are:
- Florence – the cradle of the Renaissance
- Pisa – the ancient republic of the hanging tower
- Siena – the city of Palio that stands on the top of 2 hills.
- Lucca – the walled city home to Lucca Comics
- Arezzo – the city of gold
The cities can be easily visited by train, we advise you to take a look at our trips to Tuscany by train.
Square of miracles, Pisa
If you have a car you will have a very complete agenda of visits to do in Tuscany.
Here we will have to make a selection, because there is no region with more charming towns than Tuscany. They are beautiful, rich with monuments from different historical periods and with views that take your breath away.
Let’s try to sort them a little:
Northern Tuscany, Garfagnana and Lunigiana:
- Vagli di sopra e di sotto
- Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- Borgo to Mozzano
Central Tuscany, Chianti:
- San Miniato
- San Gimignano
- Colle Val D’Elsa
- Mount rigigioni
Southern Tuscany, Val D’Orcia:
- Bagno Vignoni
One of the things that can be done in Tuscany is to take advantage of the mountains that it has. Few know that in Tuscany there are also alps … apart from the Apennines.
There are many summits that approach 2000 meters.
- Abetone: it is the mountain where you can ski almost 6 months a year in Tuscany.
- Alpi Apuane: The Pisanino is the highest mountain, this chain is famous for the extraction of Carrara marble and for the hiking trails.
- Amiata: technically it is an almost extinct volcano 1700 meters south of Tuscany, famous for hiking and for the privileged view of the Val d’Orcia.
If there is one thing Tuscany has become famous for in the world, it is the sweet rolling landscape.
Since Lord Byron began to sail the sea of hills in Tuscany, this has become a favorite destination for the English first, and for the rest of the world after the recording of many movies.
- Val D’Orcia – if on Instagram you see a nice photo, with some cypresses, it is almost certainly from this area south of Siena.
- Chianti – famous area for wine near Florence
- Val di Cecina
- Colline Metallifere
- Val d’Elsa
- Colline Pisane
Few know that the quintessential sun and beach destinations in Italy are in Tuscany:
- Forte dei Marmi and Versilia – the destination of Italy’s best-known class scene. It is where Galliani and Briatore do business.
- Elba Island – the best beaches and coves in the Mediterranean are here, and nobody knows!
- Orbetello and Giglio – moving area in southern Tuscany
- Capraia – island that cannot be more isolated, between Tuscany and Corsica.
Of course you can have more reasons to push you to do tourism, such as gastronomy, or the visit of manufacturing centers, or sports tourism … and you always have a reason to go to Tuscany.
Oil and wine are the products that are most produced in Tuscany and the most expensive sold.
Its traditions and quality are famous throughout the world.
Of course you can enjoy all the Italian gastronomy in Tuscany, but you cannot forget to try:
- Dried meat
- Bistecca alla Fiorentina
- Panino al lampredotto
- Lardo di Colonnata
Do you like motors? I recommend you visit the Piaggio, the historic factory of the world’s best-selling motorcycle, the legendary Vespa. its headquarters is in Pontedera.
Do you like leather? There is an artisan and industrial pole in Santa Croce famous for skin treatment. It is the most important pole in Europe.
You love fashion? Gucci and Cavalli sound familiar to you? Indeed they are from Florence, where you can also find Ferragamo, Prada (Arezzo) and many other high fashion brands.
Do you like to go shopping? Of course in big cities like Pisa or Florence you can find everything, but the most famous is the outlet of Barberino del Mugello
You no longer have an excuse not to go.
Keep discovering curiosities of Tuscany, such as what foods are typical there.