Oviedo is the capital of Asturias and what´s more it is a good alternative for those who want a more peaceful and relaxed Erasmus experience as it is afterall a traditional rural city surrounded by nature.
The landscape of this city is unique and not usually what Erasmus students desire, they tend to choose cities in the centre or in the south of Spain. Asturias is located in the north, a region full of nature. It offers a quiet life, with a small university campus and everything here is very relaxed. Students who choose to spend their Erasmus in Oviedo say is was a unique experience that you won´t find anywhere else in Spain.
Here, it is very easy to make new friends as the zone that you will spend most of your time in is close to everything. The university is close to the centre, the centre will be close to your house and you house will be near to all of your friends.
Not only do they eat well in Asturias they also eat A LOT! The most popular dishes in Asturias include:
- La fabada: typical dish that is very popular. Made up of beans (white beans) and products that have been hunted such as black pudding, chorizo and a shoulder of pork.
- El Pote austuriano: This is a variant of the previous dish (la fabada), but its main ingredient is cabbage
- Tortos con Picadillo: Autumn is the hunting season in many villages in Asturias and therefore this dish is very popular around this time. It is composed of mince in a type of pancake. These pancakes are usually made from cornmeal and wheat.
- Fritos de Pixín: Pixín is the name given to monkfish in Asturias and a typical dish that can be tasted in many places is fried pixin.
- Chorizo a la Sibra: Cider is a famous drink in Asturias and it is used to make many different famous dishes. Chorizo is usually browned off in a pan and then the cider is added.
On of the most attractive things about Asturias is, without a doubt, its nature. In Oviedo you will be surrounded by the most beautiful landscapes and mountains in Ibiza. Nearby you have the Peaks of Europe, the Cantabric Mountain Range, the Cantabric Sea…the best place to go trekking, diving or climbing during your Erasmus.
At the University of Oviedo you can study anything you desire! It is characterised by its popularity among Erasmus students. Every year more than 600 students doing a term or year abroad are welcomed to this university.
Living is Oviedo is very affordable, espeically for students. We suggest that you live in the centre as the city is not expensive and you will be close to everything you need if you stay here. On the website Erasmusu you can find many different housing options that start from about 100€ (being the cheapest) to 300€ (being the most expensive).
In terms of clubs and going out, there are many interesting options.
The favorite among Erasmus students in Fexis Rock Pub, a karaoke bar that is located on Calle Oscura, which is also full of many other bars and clubs. Here, there are many regualrs who all know each other. In terms of clubs there are many, the best being: Space Style, The Moncloa or Salsipuedes. Pub Planet Earth and Cinnamon Coffee are also two alternative options which are quieter and with very good atmosphere universitario.
Surely you will be interested in finding out what it is like to study in Spain.